The Oak Lawn Public Library has meeting rooms available to community organizations whose objectives are cultural, educational or civic in nature. Use of Meeting Rooms does not constitute endorsement by the Oak Lawn Public Library. The Library will not discriminate in making meeting rooms available on the basis of race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, political affiliation or physical limitation.
Priority will be given as follows:
(1) Library sponsored programs
(2) Friends of the Oak Lawn Library
(3) Oak Lawn Community Library Foundation
(4) Oak Lawn residents and organizations
(5) All others
II. Meeting Room Access
- Meeting Rooms are available during regular Library hours.
- Meeting must end 15 minutes prior to closing time.
- Meetings must be open to the public.
- Users must not require fees or request donations.
- Users must comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and are responsible for providing, and if necessary paying for, qualified interpreters or auxiliary aids, upon request, to individuals who require certain accommodations that would enable them to observe and/or participate in the meeting.
III. General Rules and Restrictions
- Light refreshments (alcoholic beverages prohibited) may be served when pre-approved by the Library. The group is responsible for leaving the room in the condition in which it was found. Charges will be assessed for extra clean-up.
- The applicant must be present at all times.
- The Library is not responsible for personal possessions.
- The applicant is responsible for the behavior, well-being and safety of participants. Adequate adult supervision of minors is required at all times.
- Library staff will not be made available to change the room arrangement or to provide support services such as carrying supplies, operating audio-visual equipment, accepting phone calls or taking messages for users. Wireless Internet access is available in all meeting rooms. Groups must bring their own laptops and projectors.
- Meeting room phones are only for emergencies.
- For the safety of all in attendance, users must read a statement at the opening of each meeting that identifies the available emergency exit routes and cautions against using the elevator during emergency situations. A copy of the statement and an evacuation map are provided with each reservation confirmation.
IV. Prohibited Uses and Activities
Library Meeting Rooms cannot be used for the following activities:
- The sales, promotion or advertisement, whether directly or indirectly, of a commercial product or service.
- Conducting classes or study sessions that involve a fee for participation.
- Employee recruitment.
- Social functions including, but not limited to, weddings, anniversaries and benefits.
- Legal depositions or proceedings pertaining to a lawsuit.
- Political meetings.
V. Application Process and Reservations
- Applications are approved on a first-come, first-served basis.
- All potential users must complete a meeting room reservation request.
- Meetings are reserved in a seasonal timeframe (spring, summer, fall and winter) and no more than 90 days in advance. No meeting rooms are available in July due to summer reading activities. Go to www.oaklawnlibrary.org for specific information regarding when reservation requests are accepted for each season.
- The Library requires that room reservation requests are submitted 14 days prior to an event and needs 10 business days to process and respond to reservation requests.
- The applicant must be a member of the sponsoring organization.
- The Library reserves the right to change meeting locations without prior notice.
- The Library determines if a request monopolizes space and unfairly restricts use by other organizations. In general, this means no more than two meetings a month.
- If a meeting is canceled, please notify the PR Officer/Library immediately.
- In the event of an emergency closing of the Library, all reservations are canceled and any paid fees will be refunded. Library staff will attempt to inform the applicant.
VI. Meeting Room Fees
- Meeting rooms are free to Oak Lawn residents and Oak Lawn based organizations.
- The Library requires a fee for each use by non-residents and organizations outside of Oak Lawn. Payment of the non-refundable fee is required for confirmation of the reservation. Checks/money orders should be made payable to: Oak Lawn Public Library.
- All advertisements and announcements must clearly state that the meeting is not sponsored by the Oak Lawn Public Library.
- The Library will not handle attendee registration, and the Library is not to be included as a source for further information about the meeting.
The Oak Lawn Public Library will discontinue the use of meeting rooms for those who do not abide by this policy or disrupt Library operations.
This policy is not all-inclusive. Approval of individual meetings not described in this policy and any exceptions to this policy will be determined by the PR Officer and/or Director.